Camping season has arrived! And with it, Rosman RV’s Outdoor Chef returns. Here are some great recipes to get your camping season off to a BBQlicious start!
BEST BBQ CHICKEN KEBABS
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 23 slices raw bacon, cut into 1/2inch pieces
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Trim chicken of excess fat, then cut the chicken into 1inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the salt. Then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Make sure the grill over your campfire is good and hot.
- Meanwhile, pat the chicken dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the paprikas and sugar. Place the raw bacon in a food processor (good idea to preprep this at home) and pulse for about 3045 seconds, until a smooth paste forms, scraping down the sides of the bowl twice throughout. Add the bacon paste and spice mixture to the chicken. Mix with hands or spatula until the ingredients are blended and chicken is coated. Thread the chicken onto the skewers, rolling or folding as needed to maintain 1inch cubes.
- Grill the chicken, turning onequarter of a turn every 23 minutes or so, until browned and slightly charred (about 8 minutes total for chicken breast and 10 minutes for thighs). Brush the top of kebabs with BBQ sauce; flip and cook until sauce is browned in spots, about 12 minutes. Brush second side with sauce; flip and cook for another minute or so, until cooked through.
- Remove kebabs from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with remaining BBQ sauce separately, if desired.
ULTIMATE SRIRACHA BURGER
- 3 pounds ground beef (preferably chuck, 80/20)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 10 tablespoons Sriracha
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices thickcut bacon
- 2 large sweet onions
- 3/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 8 sesame seed buns
- 8 thick slices Swiss cheese
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, sliced
- Arugula or romaine lettuce
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, soy sauce, 5 tablespoons of the Sriracha, and the pepper. Do not overmix. Form the mixture into 8 patties, and set aside, on a parchmentlined baking sheet, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Heat over a medium heat on a barbecue or over a grill on the campfire.
- In a medium frying pan over mediumlow heat, cook the bacon, turning as necessary. While the bacon is cooking, peel and quarter the onions. Cut each section into 1/4inch slices. Once the bacon is cooked through and slightly crispy, remove the slices from the pan, cut each in half crosswise, and drain onto paper towels, reserving the remaining bacon fat in the pan. Cook the sliced onions in the bacon fat over mediumlow heat until they caramelize, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Grill the burgers, turning once, 4 to 41/2 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer registers 130° to 135°F for mediumrare.
- While the burgers are cooking, in a small bowl, combine the blue cheese dressing with the remaining 5 tablespoons Sriracha. Lightly toast the buns on the grill during the last minute of cooking time.
- To assemble, spread the blue cheese mixture on both halves of each hamburger bun. Stack a burger patty, Swiss cheese slice, bacon, caramelized onions, tomato slice, and a small handful of arugula between each hamburger bun.
GRILLED LIME GARLIC SHRIMP
- 4 limes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Wooden skewers
- Add the zest and juice of three limes to a large bowl along with the garlic. Whisk in the olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Dump in the shrimp and toss until coated. Marinate in the fridge (or cooler) for 30 minutes.
- At the same time, soak wooden skewers for 30 minutes in water.
- When done marinating, skewer the shrimp and discard the marinade.
- Cook the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes a side or until pink and firm. Season with salt and pepper. Cut the last lime into wedges and serve with the shrimp.