Most of today's RVs are equipped with LP (Propane) leak detectors, many RVs also have Carbon Monoxide detectors, as required by code. These devices provide peace of mind by testing the air quality within the RV for the presence of LP Gas, which can cause an explosion, or testing for Carbon monoxide, which is odourless, and can cause death.
Although your RV may have originally been equipped with these safety devices, they do require attention to ensure they are operating to specification. If your device is a battery operated system, check it periodically to make sure the battery within the device is still functioning correctly.
If your unit is hardwired into your trailer, check to make sure your RV batteries are up to the correct charge, allowing your devices to work at 100% efficiency. Some detectors have a built in warning alarm that will emit a sound every 30 seconds or so if your battery is low indicating the system is not operating at 100%.
Another thing to check is if your alarm is current. Most devices have a product life that can be as short as 5 years. At this point the device manufacturers have found the sensors within the detectors can become contaminated by their environment thereby affecting the sensitivity. Some detectors have an expiry date on the back of the device, while others have a date of manufacturer. If you don't see a date, and if your detector or RV is 5 years old or older, you should replace both your Carbon Monoxide and your LP gas detectors. Taking these steps can ensure your camping experience with friends and family is a safe and healthy one.